I have a friend, Bonnie, who sent me a message saying:
“Hey LN, I can’t sleep, so I decided to read your blog/listen to your podcasts and I have some questions!”
(Ignoring the fact that reading/listening to LN before bed will give you nightmares….)
(Some of her questions were podcast-worthy- which I’ll do someday*).
- check out my bucket list.
- See airfare that’s on sale.
- Look at my FB cover photo and see what isn’t dotted yet.
- Find a friend who is also going to ______. (or wants to be dragged along)
- Figure out a skill I want to learn and go to a place that teaches that… Like learning how to properly drink vodka. You can, obviously, only do that on the Tran-Siberian railroad!
I also have a whole tote filled with bottle-caps!
- I get homesick at EXACTLY 90-days. I do a few things to counter this:
Voxer, whatsapp, email all help keep in contact with friends. Hearing friend’s voices is SO SO NICE! It’s a blessing, actually and highly under-rated.
I used to be super anxious before I started traveling. Something would go wrong and I would get really overwhelmed and just break down and cry. Or get mad. Or break things. Or all three! AT ONCE!
I took a 3-week trip around Europe where my parents told me that The Whore ran away and was probably dead…. I needed to loose my shit – but! I was staying with family (that I wasn’t really close to) and I didn’t want to be “that girl”… So I went to a cemetery, chose a tombstone, and cried for hours and just got it all out. I plan for these days now. (Sometimes I need them, sometimes I don’t).
Also when I first started traveling, I would journal like a mad-woman and one of my lists was an “iMiss” list. It started out pretty simple:
- Hot showers
- Not having mosquito bites
- Brussels Sprouts (yea, don’t ask)
When I got back from Africa, it was REALLY AWESOME to see so many races in the grocery store. All talking to each other! No cussing! Treating each other with respect! I hadn’t seen that in a long time. (Think about that for a second…..)
I also miss the freedom of laughing at silly things… Like Fox news calling themselves news.
*I’m planning on doing a Q/A podcast- so if you have questions, ask away!
- Whatsapp (+1-83 too- to 83-zero-839)
- Voxer (LLurie994)
- comment below!